Pages

* BAND LIST *

Thursday, February 21, 2008

Turn You On To... Delta Spirit.




I Wanna Turn You On To...

Delta Spirit.


Interview with Matthew Vasquez

Words: Ashley Marie Sansotta

Photos: Ashley Marie Sansotta


Who they are...

Matthew Vasquez, Jonathan Jameson, Sean Walker, Brandon Young, and Kelly Winrich (a.k.a. The Bat).


What’s their story...

Straight from San Diego, my California boys started making music early, quickly befriending those infamous Cold War Kids and California's beloved The Colour. While opening for multiple headliners (including Dr. Dog and Clap Your Hands Say Yeah), Delta Spirit has been turning more than a few heads these days.


Sounds like...

The blues of the Cold War Kids mixed with campfire songs told by your ancestors’ old country souls.


Why I want to turn you onto it...

I’ve been a huge fan of Delta Spirit since I discovered them the night they opened for the Cold War Kids at their CD release party in Silverlake, California. Back then, Delta Spirit had only released an EP, which I quickly memorized every guitar riff and tambourine shake from frequenting their residencies in a handful of bars out in L.A. A Delta Spirit show will awaken the soul. But, my soul-awakening was put to rest when it was time for a new album. The boys went up in the mountains to write and record. The result: Ode to Sunshine ...a masterpiece. Now, my good friend, frontman Matthew Vasquez, talks with me about this experience, touring, and their time with Daytrotter.


REAX: Why did you decide to release Ode to Sunshine independently, instead of going with Monarchy Music?

MV: The big reason for the decision was, at the time, we were talking to other larger labels, but we didn't want to wait a year to put our record out, and we didn't want some big shot producer to come in and do a half ass job. Its not that we don't believe in a producer's talent. It’s just that, with the exception of Elijah Thompson, we have yet to meet a producer that understands us (as people) or understands what we are trying to accomplish sonically. So we went to a cabin tracked it ourselves and then had Eli mix it. And we couldn't be more please with the results.


REAX: Tell me about your experience with the writing and recording of Ode to Sunshine, and how much your location impacted you guys creatively?

MV: When we were writing Ode to Sunshine, we had this gorgeous practice space overlooking the ocean. In between tours we'd jam and demo songs. It was a great place. But, even great places can become prisons. I guess you could relate it to living in Hawaii and getting island fever. We decided to set aside a couple week-long sessions at our friend Derik's cabin. We brought all of our gear up to this small mountain town called Jullian (in California), and we just jammed it out. Both sessions held their own memories.


REAX: When it comes to your music, where do you find that you get most of your inspirations from?

MV: Personally, I try to draw as much as I can from people I talk with, especially if I just met them. A good first impression usually comes with a life story that last about three minutes to an hour, and most often the moral of the story that they see isn't the moral your getting out of it. I like that.


REAX: You're often described as young musicians with old souls (rightfully so). Do you feel that you have an old soul?

MV: I don't know much about being old soul, but I do know about being raised right. My mom introduced me to Janis Joplin, the Beatles, Neil Young, BB King, Lightnin' Hopkins, etc. My brother introduced me to Nirvana and the Smashing Pumpkins when I was 8. What I loved about those bands, was that they did what they wanted to do. They weren't compromising for some stupid fad. There are lots of bands like that today: Dr. Dog, Arcade Fire, Cold War Kids, the Walkmen, Radiohead. If we're old souls for not compromising what we say - and how we sound - then I'd say yes.


REAX: It seems that, lately, you've been classic tour dogs. Which tour has been your favorite thus far?

MV: No question - for me, Dr. Dog and Apollo and Sunshine/BLACK STOLTZFUS were the dream tours. We made great friends, and were apart of many inspiring nights. Each band's set was built on thousands of subtleties... and tons of feeling.


REAX: Do you guys do much song-writing while you’re on the road? What’s the process look like?

MV: Its hard (on the road) because you can never get away to think straight. But, we try our best to make the time. The only formula that I know for song writing is to never do the same thing twice. What worked yesterday, most likely, will not work today. Anybody in a band is liable to have an amazing idea, it just takes everyone else in the band help the idea happen.


REAX: When I interviewed Sean Moeller (Mr. Daytrotter) last month, he spoke so highly of you guys. How wonderful was your Daytrotter experience?

MV: Going to Daytrotter is like going to Sun Records, Having Alan Lomax interview you “Sean Moeller,” and Tom Dowd “Patrick Stolley” sitting behind the desk recording you. It is the modern day equivalent to the Library of Congress in the 1930s. Daytrotter is a place where you can go find real music untainted by over production, a place for people that said that the demo sounds better and were right about it. Sean Moeller writes about music because he believes in music, and Patrick Stolley can quickly - almost psychically - find an amazing mix. More often than not, it’s more inspiring than the original. We're having breakfast with the guys tomorrow on our way to Chicago. I'm excited to see them.


REAX: What’s next for Delta Spirit?

MV: I don't know... We only get one day at a time.


Photos from various shows.

Courtesy of Ashley Marie Sansotta











No comments:

Post a Comment